1995 Custom 48' (14.63 m) Carija Boatworks Aluminum Cutter
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Refit Year: 2019 VALKYRS
1995 48' John Carija & Sons Boatworks Custom Aluminum Cutter "VALKYRS"
Flag of Registry: United States
Port of Registry: Yarmouth, NS
- Sloop / Cutter
- Aluminum Hull
- HIN/IMO: JCQ00020K176
Custom aluminum sloop, ready to sail all latitudes and proven capable of handling hurricane-force winds. Built and rigged to withstand the toughest conditions, her design is dedicated to performance. Every aspect of the construction process and the outfitting followed the same philosophy, overbuild. From the spar and rig to the winches and stanchions, her equipment is suitable for a much larger vessel. She offers that rare blend of exhilaration, comfort, and safety. Re-powered in 2017 by a 50HP Yanmar married with a 3-blade Maxprop for enhanced motoring performance. Her two-cabin layout provides all of the expected amenities and is perfectly suited for living aboard either at the dock or while underway. The hull plate thickness was confirmed by an audio gauge test, 3/16".
In Stock: Yes
LOA: 49' (14.63 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Refit Year: 2019
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Aluminum
Hull Finish: Awlgrip
Hull Shape: Monohull
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: YANMAR
- Engine Model: 4JH3E
- Engine Year: 2017
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Power HP: 50.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 100.00
Design and History
The inspiration for the hull design was taken from vintage Sparkman & Stephens offerings. The builder/designer, John Carija is well known for quality aluminum fabrication. The hull was originally constructed in 1976 and was purchased by the previous owner in 1995. He then spent two years completing her and preparing her for cruising. While working within the Marine industry, he was able to complete the yacht's interior cabinetry, machinery, and rigging. The end result was a remarkably capable, fast, and well-equipped offshore cruiser. Her handsome lines and powerful rig combine for exhilarating performance on all points of sail.
Construction, Hull and Deck
The hull to deck joint is welded 360 degrees, 3/16" = approximately .190 thickness in all areas. The hull is plated using a 3/16" aluminum plate, framing 1/4" and stringers 3/16". Off-white Awlgrip sprayed on non-skid over the entire deck. Strong perforated aluminum toe rails with attachment points along port and starboard rails. Bow and stern rails are 1-1/4" custom-made bolted through the deck. All stanchions are custom, 1-1/4" stainless steel with double lifelines 1X19 stainless wire. Modified fin keel is all one-piece consisting of no bolts, poured lead with a skeg hung aluminum rudder. All thru-hulls are reinforced Marelon plastic fittings. Aluminum chain-plates are welded into the hull.
Topsides: "Fighting lady" Yellow Awlgrip (2008)
Covestripe: Green style stripe with naming
Bottom: Black (barrier coated /painted 8/2019)
- Lewmar low profile deck hatches
- (2) Lewmar ports
- A single custom-made bow roller welded into bow with Lewmar low-profile windlass
- Large S/S handrails mounted around stern and bow
- (1) lazarette forward of cockpit on deck
- (1) lazarette aft of steering wheel
- Edson 40" SS destroyer wheel
- Small ocean-going cockpit with a single custom steering pedestal
- Whale gusher manual bilge pump located aft of cockpit
- Forward and aft dodgers in off-white (2006, like new condition)
- (2) Danforth 50lb anchors on bow 1/2" 200ft chain and 200ft three strand anchor rode
- (2) SS dorade vents
- (2) SS mast pulpits
Accommodations and Interior
- The vessel sleeps 8 comfortably with main salon, forward and aft cabins.
- Traveling down the 3-step companionway, there are two quarter berths to port and starboard with ample storage surrounding. Head to port with a stand-up shower and sink. Large navigation station desk to port with electrical panel controls overhead. Moving into the main cabin there is a forward-facing U-shaped galley with double stainless sinks. Engine access is center of the vessel under the sinks. Large dinette with roomy seating for 4 to starboard, full-sized settee to port with a fan. The aluminum welded in chain-plates to port and starboard serve as additional storage. Forward is an elevated v-berth with a large storage locker beneath.
- Interior is built of solid teak with mahogany marine-ply bulkheads securely thru-bolted to frames on deck and hull.
- Vinyl and foam wrapped marine-ply headliners mounted to the ceiling with mahogany cleats.
- Deep double SS sinks
- Corian countertop in the galley
- Lighting is overhead dome or wall sconce
- Seafrost cold machine air-cooled refrigeration (top opening, New 2018)
- Custom-made Luke ss stove/ oven gimbaled 2-burner, propane systems with (2) tanks in cockpit locker.
Navigation and Electronics
- Raymarine 15" touch screen Radar, GPS, Chartplotter mounted under the dodger with repeater below at the nav station (New 2018)
- Raymarine 6000 series auto-pilot (New 2018)
- Raymarine wind, direction, speed log, and depth sounder mounted on cockpit under engine panel (New 2018)
- ICOM VHF with hailer on the mast
- Ritchie 6" compass on the binnacle
- 4" Weems & Plath barometer and ships clock at nav station
Rigging, Sails and Safety
- Custom double spreader painted aluminum keel-stepped mast
- Aluminum mast step
- All shrouds and stays are 1X19 stainless cable, oversized for the vessel using Staylock terminal fittings.
- All running rigging, halyards, sheets, and reefing systems have been replaced in the past 2 years are like new.
- (3) sails onboard, Main, Staysail, and Genoa are all built of heavy 10-12 oz dacron
- All winches are chrome Lewmar self-tailing, (4) over-sized in the cockpit, (1) cabin top, (2) foredeck, (3) on the mast (all serviced 2019)
- Sailtec hydraulic panel operates boom vang and backstay
- (3) handheld airhorns
- Mounted "No oil discharge" placard
- Olin visual distress signals, handheld and pistol grip
- Offshore West Marine first aid kit
- Single carbon monoxide detector
- Winslow 6oSLOP life-raft with soft pack aboard (2019)
- ACR 406 MGHZ EPRB (2019)
- (4) type 1 offshore adult PFD's
- (2) throwable devices, (1) man overboard module and (1) ring
- (3) fire extinguishers KID TYPE 2 dry chemical
Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Systems
- Monitor wind vane generator mounted on the transom
- Promariner 30 amp battery charger
- 120v 30amp AC operates battery charger
- (6) Group 29 lead-acid batteries (New 2018)
- Battery storage is securely mounted on both port and starboard sides of the engine with good ventilation.
- (3) Perko main battery switches directly next to the engine
- Custom made bass electrical panel
- 60 amp Balmar alternator
- GFCI outlets throughout vessel
- (2) Rule bilge pumps with high water alarms
- Fuel and water tanks are center-line integral to the aluminum superstructure
- Wilcox Crittenden manual flush head with y-value. All plumbing and poly holding tank new in 2018.
- Morse cable throttle controls
- USCG hose with new Vetus exhaust pot
- Groco raw water strainers mounted in the engine compartment
Want more information?
Chris Carney, CPYB
Chris was born and raised on Aquidneck Island, cruising and fishing his father's power boats from a young age. He continued by racing dinghies and small keelboats out of Tiverton Yacht Club. After graduating from the University of Rhode Island with a degree in Marine Affairs and Business, he comes to the team with the intent to build long-term relationships. His experience ranges from all aspects of marine services including private charter sailing, commissioning and diving. His passion for yachting and knowledge of boats has lead a clear career path in the industry. Chris can be found fishing or cruising the waters of Narragansett bay on his Palm beach with his yellow lab “Dublin”.